Friday, May 24, 2013

As if...

As if we needed one more thing...

Yesterday at an 8am physical therapy appointment we were given a torticolis collar for Hannah.

A what?  A torture device?  Yep.

Not really.  I made that up!  But it looks like one and it feels like one to my  mommy heart.   It's awful.  If you see her in the next few weeks, you will see just how awful it is. 

It's made up of surgical tubing and fastens with velcro, it has two plastic pieces that prop her neck up...In the medical sense it is not really awful, and I know it is a necessity and will help her so much...

When we put it on she screams, mommy cries, daddy says we can just wait, mommy agrees...

Ok, that's in our weakness...today, she wlll wear it.  My only saving grace is that when her therapist put it on yesterday and held her with it she did great, she relaxed into it and no tears...when it came off and it was my time to put it on, my first time, doing something I had no idea how to do, to my baby, it was terrible...she cried and I thought to myself how awful it was...

After a couple tries, I got it on correctly but then I was able to take it off...

She can't wear it in the carseat or while sleeping...but other than that she should have it on...

Our therapist warned us not to take it off every time she cries...she'll learn fast that tears mean we act!  Our therapist is so kind and knows how hard it is for us...she also knows how much it will help her, every minute, every hour that she can have it on counts.

So today is a new day.  Today we try, through all the tears, to get her to wear it for a few hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment