Saturday, November 5, 2011

Why wait?

I talked to Dr. Shomento earlier this week. She, not her nurse, called me! I continue to be amazed at the care we are only just beginning to get there. The kindness is overflowing. And their understanding of distance in our situation, well, they must be some of the best there is when it comes to that.

On Monday I went to Havre for some lab work to determine my ovary function. It turns out, my ovaries are functioning like a normal 33 year old. There was a hormone, the LH hormone, that was low, which shows her that I have stress in my life. It is quite fascinating what they can tell from a simple blood draw.

I think this effects egg growth and maturity. But I'm not sure. They can help fix this when I go on hormones. Or maybe I need a trip to a spa!

The decision before us now is why wait? Or rather, when to start treatment. They do IVF rounds every other month. It is a 2 month process that starts with day 1 of my cycle, 2 months before we want to have the treatment. I know, it is all really confusing. But they wrote it all out so I can refer to that when the confusion gets too much, or I can call the doctor!

When I was talking with Dr. Shomento, we determined that we had already missed the dates to start the process now for treatment in January. That leaves us with March or May.

Why wait?

Well, there are things like lent that starts the end of February, and a crazy busy preschool schedule in May, and well, life in general is sort of non-routine crazy. But...why wait? It's not like people who get pregnant naturally pick the exact date for it to happen (ok I know there is a small amount of control, but it's small). This is a family thing, this is about putting our future family first. And we know we must consider everything when deciding when...but we just keep coming back to why wait?

We are on the Doctor's calendar for a treatment in March. Which means we will start the process in January.

That means we sit back, relax and try to become as stress free as possible (Ha!). And in January, on Day 1 we call the doctor and she gives us dates, prescriptions, appointment times, etc.

March seems like a long ways away. May seems even further. And we don't know if this will work. If it doesn't work, we can do it again, and starting sooner, rather than later, puts us that many more months closer to having a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment