Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Decision...

We wanted to make our infertility treatment decision before Christmas break. We were leaving for 2 weeks on December 18th to go to the Northwest to see family and friends for Christmas and New Year's. We knew we couldn't spend those two weeks thinking about our decision, we needed to make it. We were excited and confused. We wanted to start treatment right away. We wanted to start in December. BUT, we didn't know if we could because we would be gone for two weeks. I was sure those two weeks would not interfere with dates we would need to go to Mayo for the procedure. But I was also sure they would not let me risk not being here. It was stressful. We talked about it, thought about it in our own thought worlds, talked about it, asked God what we should do. Finally Joel said to me "I am leaning towards the clomid and minimal stimulation option." I told him I was to. We had our answer. We knew if we picked that option we would wait for the January cycle to do a treatment. We still had a little desire to do something with the December cycle. So I called Mayo. I was stressed and scared to call and chat about our dilemma. I thought they would think I was nuts! The first lady I talked to worked in the infertility office. She was so kind and understanding she brought me to tears. She gave the nurse a message to call me back that day. Less than an hour later the nurse called me back! I explained everything to her and she said that if I was going to be gone for two weeks we would not do anything for the December cycle. At that moment I realized that was wisdom. That last thing we needed was me on fertility medicine while on vacation...I am not always the most pleasant when on fertility medicine! Phew...huge burden lifted after talking to the nurse and telling her our decision...clomid with minimal stimulation (1 fertility shot) and IUI procedure. She scheduled us to come down on January 3 for a one on one class with the nurse. We needed to be educated about the procedure and the step by step process. And I needed to learn how to give myself a shot. We felt good about this conversation and our decision. We, of course, asked ourselves a time or two in the next few days if we made the the right decision. But it was made and we decided not to stress, but to trust. Just another step in our infertility journey...it was then time for vacation! We were so relaxed and ready. In an effort to eliminate stress and create peacefulness we made ourselves relax. We forced ourselves to be laid back and stress free! We had an extremely wonderful vacation! We had a fabulous time with sisters, brothers, moms, dads, nieces, nephews, dear friends. It was just what we needed! In the midst of family and friends we dreamed about what our infertility journey could lead to. We shared hopes, fears, dreams...We are blessed and thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment