Monday, August 22, 2011

Coffee

I have finally found someone who understands my love for and view of coffee. I haven't met her but she is the author of "fresh-brewed life", a stirring invitation to wake up your soul! I love coffee. And my love for it does not come from the caffeine, despite what many may think. I've often felt embarrassed by this love...mainly because people have made fun of me, or watched and actually counted the amount of coffee I drink in a morning, or made comments about my love for coffee. Seriously, this is not about the caffeine. It sort of is in that I do drink it every day, and would get a headache if i didn't but it is so much more than that. Here is an excerpt from the introduction to the book:

"Would you like coffee this morning? There is rarely a morning out when this offer fails to bring joy to my heart. At home the first thing I do in the morning is put on the coffee. Just the sound of the brewing perks me up. Often my soul does this little dance when the aroma of freshly ground beans starts to fill the kitchen.

Coffee bring warmth and comfort to my life. Part ritual, part relationship, part hope, having a cup in my hand feels as natural as holding a pencil. It stirs up memories and gratitude inside of me.

...Coffee is an invitation. When someone invites you to get coffee, it isn't that he or she is thirsty; more likely, that person just wants to spend time with you...coffee is an invitation to life."


I imagine some of you are rolling your eyes at me about right now! And that's ok. The author tells about having "coffee-milk" with her grandma early in the morning when she was about 5 years old. It is a memory. I share coffee-milk with my niece who is 8...it's one part coffee, 4 parts milk, and 3 parts sugar! And it's about the memory...she loves sharing that with aunt melissa, and I love having that little moment with her!

Joel and I love the act of act of sharing a cup of coffee either on the deck or the couch each morning. It's about the coffee, but it's also about the ritual. I love having coffee with friends or family or people I barely know but want to get to know. It's about the time and the relationship.

So, this is all the reason for my coffee kitchen as I like to call it. It's decorated with coffee pictures, it has two pots, one for regular, one for decaf, or 2for regular if need be, it has creamer, sugar, milk. I can meet all of your coffee needs. I even have hot chocolate, orange juice, ice water and some rootbeer if you'd rather indulge in one of those. It's about the memory remember. Anyone want to have coffee with me?

2 comments:

  1. I love that: coffee is an invitation to life. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's silly at all! Actually, it's nice to sit and enjoy something so tasty surrounded by peacefulness and/or family and friends. I agree with you....and one day soon I hope I can share in the moment with you. :)

    ReplyDelete