Saturday, September 15, 2012

Google ban...

Joel has banned me from google. 

Not all things google, just scary things google. 

Last Wednesday I failed the glucose screening test.  It's the initial screening for gestational diabetes.  For this test I had to go into the lab at the Big Sandy clinic, having fasted, drink some really sugary red hawaiian punch flavored drink in 5 minutes, then go back in an hour for a blood draw.  After each swallow of that stuff I kept thinking...why can't this be orange flavored, and don't throw up Melissa, this nice lab lady told me not to throw up!

They faxed my results to my doctor's office.

By 5pm that day I hadn't heard any results, so I assumed no news was good news.

Then at 5:15 Ronnie called..."2 things with your blood work today..." she said...

Ah bummer.  I fully expected all to be fine!  They were also checking my thyroid and iron levels that day and to be honest I'm not even sure what else.

First, she said my iron is too low so I need to start a supplement.  She gave me instructions for that then the glucose test...

My number was 164.  Their cutoff for being ok is 135.  Another test is in my future...

I was so certain I would pass that test that when I heard I had to do the 3 hr fasting one, with the same icky red stuff, I got sort of worried...no, really worried.

And that night, while Joel was in Havre leading confirmation, I googled gestational diabetes...

Bad idea!  Very bad!  I mean it told me some things I already knew, but it also told me some very very bad things.  It scared me.

Joel said no more google!  So, I've stayed away from it!

At our Monday appointment to check on the girls Ronnie will give me lab orders for the next test and I will schedule it with the Big Sandy lab for sometime next week.  It sounds awful, but I'm hoping that books, TV and some little walks will distract me from hunger of a long icky fast!

A text from a friend reassured me that people go through this all the time, and I can do anything for my little girls!  

No comments:

Post a Comment