Monday, October 15, 2012

A birthday story...

Well, nothing about our journey to babies has went as planned...

Expect IVF working!  It was the IVF part that orginally was not part of the plan.

Being put on bed rest was not part of the plan...but it is now part of the journey.  I keep reminding myself there is nothing we can do about how this part is happening, except tell the story...

We had birthday plans last week...dinner out both days, a movie for Joel's birthday, free Starbucks birthday coffees...nothing too exciting, but a plan nonetheless. 

My birthday was Thursday, Joel's friday.

But this all started on Wednesday.  We went for a regular check up and ultra sound on me and the girls...

Once the ultra sound tech took all the pics she needed of the girls, she took pics of my cervix.  I sensed something might be up because the 2 times before that she had mentioned how nice my cervix looked (sorry if this is TMI)...this time she didn't say anything...

She went down the hall to let Ronnie know we were ready for Dr. Key then she came back and told us he had been called to the hospital.  "Can you come back at 2:30?" she asked, "I really want him to look at your cervix."

Something was up.  We had our pre-admit appointment at the hospital at 2pm that day so they told us to just come after that. 

We ate lunch.  We shopped.

Then, as we were stepping onto the elevator following the pre-admit appointment, which went really well, Dr. Key was stepping off of it...well, we missed that opportunity I thought.  So much for him checking me out at the clinic...but we went over there anyways.  They took us right back...Gretchen did the examination and one of the first things she said was that she had to call the Dr. and the words "no work" came out of her mouth...

Then she was off to talk to him....she thought we would go home with very limited activity.  But nope, on the phone Dr. Key told her to send us right over to the hospital and that he would meet us there.

What?  Excuse me?  Uh.....talk about shock.  At that point I stood up to go, Joel stayed seating.  Ronnie, Gretchen and Karen, the ultra sound tech, chuckled and said I had to take him...their specialty is pregnant ladies, not the guys!  

Away we went in a sea of shock, nervousness, disbelief...

The unknown was ahead of us...and birthdays were yet to unfold...

No comments:

Post a Comment