Saturday, March 3, 2012

Practice makes perfect

This post might be TMI, but I'm gonna write it anyways.  I want this all logged, every part of our journey, so when I remembered a challenge the nurse gave me I decided I had to write...

Practice having a full bladder.

Say what?

Find out what fills your bladder up then hold it for like 2-3 hours.

Say what?

It's a chore!  It's a challenge!  And the funny thing is that I practice this every Tuesday and Thursday morning when I teach...I can't leave 13 preschoolers alone to use the bathroom!

Here is what the handout she gave me says:

"Lastly, as you get to the day of embryo transfer, you will need to have a full bladder.  This is extremely important for us to be able to visualize the uterus as the physician guides the catheter holding your precious embryos into the uterus for delivery.  You should drink plenty of fluids for 2-3 hours prior to your scheduled transfer time.  This means you will feel extremely full and uncomfortable in your low pelvic area.  You may have cramping.  It will feel like if you have to cough or sneeze you may leak urine.  As unpleasant as this is for you, it will help facilitate the timing of your transfer and the flow of the procedure.  This is the final step for you achieving pregnancy and we want it to go the very best it can!"

I hope I don't have a cold that day!

I highlighted the words "full bladder" above because on the sheet they are highlighted.

Doesn't sound fun to me, at all, but I'll practice so when it gets to transfer day I can be certain that practice does indeed make perfect!




No comments:

Post a Comment